Subject: [Leica] Digi-SLR's and MF lenses.....
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 16:14:24 -0700

So we went to the Zoo.  I had decided to shoot my 400 F6.8 Telyt on my Nikon
D1x with a Monopod.  ( yes, that IS my Digi-SLR, but that is, in itself, a
digression).

Got my 1GB CF cards all filled, downloaded, and started to edit.

I started with 500 images..  First cut was for (terrible) focus problems....
250 of those.....  Which is what I wish to discuss.....

I am NOT a bad focuser.  When I turned about 35, I realized my eyes were
getting old... so I went out and traded my MF Canon stuff for Nikon AF.
Then, after a few months of use, realized that my eyes were better than my
Nikon 8008 AF.  In the ensuing 27 years, my eyes are presumably not better.
But hold on there... 50% bad focus?  I mean REALLY bad.  What's up?  ( To
much M6/M8?)

I admit I am fussy, really fussy with focus.....it must be spot on, or out
it goes.... but REALLY bad is another thing.....

Problem #1... the D1x focus screen is lousy on contrast and brightness.  ( I
did use my Brightscreen version, which should have helped me some).
Problem #2....That Telyt, while a great lens, is a F6.8.  ( Light in weight,
yes, bright, NO!)

Either makes it hard to focus, even in direct daylight.  Both is a double
whammy.....

So next time I Zoo it, I will bring my 300 F2.8 Tamron MF lens.....

As a result, I will....
a) have a much brighter screen to focus with... about 2 1/2 stops ....  This
ought to help the terrible focus issues I was having.
b) have a sore neck from the weight
c) will get to evaluate how good that old lens really is.....

For thought, is there another solution to dark D1x focusing screens, other
than Maxwell and Brightscreen?
Other suggestions?  ( No, not an R8/9 + DMR.... it is not in the budget....)

Frank Filippone
Red735i at earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Digi-SLR's and MF lenses.....)