Subject: [Leica] IMG: Diego
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Sun, 01 May 2011 13:53:11 -0500

On May 1, 2011, at 1:20 PM, Doug Herr wrote:

> Diego is a young adult Red-tailed Hawk at the UC Davis California Raptor
> Center:
>
> http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/accipitridae/rthawk06.html
> http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/accipitridae/rthawk07.html
>
> Diego is unable to fly apparently due to wing injuries so he would not
> survive in the wild.  Ordinarily a healthy Red-tailed Hawk in the wild
> will live up to ten years but in captivity Diego's life expectancy is
> about thirty years.

One of the many remarkable attributes
which subtly differentiate your photographs from other wildlife photographers
is the individuation of the subjects.

I often marvel at photographs of various species from many different
photographers
and think, "that's a fantastic photograph of "an elk" or "an otter" or etc.

Your discipline of waiting for (or editing for) "the look in the eye"
more often than not seems to make me think, "that's a fantastic portrait of
'this individual'."

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com