Subject: [Leica] New M8 (photos)
From: simon.ogilvie at gmail.com (Simon Ogilvie)
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 21:31:40 +0100

Well, I finally bit the bullet and took the advice from several
members here (for which I'm very grateful) and bought myself an M8.  I
found a beautiful chrome one at a well-respected UK dealer which had
been owned by a collector who barely used it (1800 shutter actuations
when it came to me).  I got the dealer to throw in a couple of Leica
UV/IR filters although initial results have shown that the "problem"
isn't anywhere near as bad as the hype, and in many cases I prefer the
colours without the filter on.  One thing I've found difficult is
focussing with a 90mm summicron which I guess is pushing the
rangefinder to its limit, but the M8 seems to be consistently
back-focussing with it.  I guess I could send it back for adjustment,
but at the moment I'm not going to let my new toy go that easily!  The
problem, if there is one, is much less clear with wider lenses, so I
might just live with it for now.

Anyway, I've put a few first shots up from a recent trip to a local
National Trust place (a UK charitable trust that looks after old
houses and bits of countryside) on the gallery here:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/snowy Two of them are in colour, and
the other two are done with an IR filter and converted to B&W.  It's
the digital camera I've used to doing infra-red shots, as the shutter
speeds are still hand-holdable due to the thinness of the built-in IR
blocking filter.  None of my M lenses have IR focussing marks which is
a pity, so focussing is done by guesswork!  Comments and criticism
welcome, of course.

It's been great fun so far, and I'm looking forward to continuing
learning this new style of digital photography!

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] New M8 (photos))
Reply from robertmeier at usjet.net (Robert Meier) ([Leica] New M8 (photos))