Subject: [Leica] Computer Help
From: john.nebel at csdco.com (John Nebel)
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 15:44:15 -0600

Tina,

I read through the thread, sorry to hear what happened but it need not be as
disruptive in the future.  Free clonezilla (clonezilla.org) will produce a
bootable CD that can backup or restore a windows disk to/from another device
such as an USB disk or flash drive.  By default it compresses the backed-up
data
and names it by date so you can periodically save copies without overwriting.

If the PC is in warranty and breaks, you can restore your data.  Old enough
be out of warranty, buy a duplicate refurbished machine (no one says "used"
anymore), in my case it was $150.

If you have a large-sized PC, add another internal disk and periodically
clone
the operating system to that so you have an alternate boot disk.

A similar strategy works for Macs although the old hardware is not cheap,
Macs
are more forgiving about booting the operating system on differently
configured
hardware.  In the Mac case a GUI-based cloning tool is called "Carbon Copy
Cloner".

Both of these programs have saved me and others around here much time.

Best,

John

Tech footnote

Clonezilla is a standard Linux with a question/answer interface to simplify
the
cloning process. It will work with FAT/NTFS/HFS/ext* disks directly and
perform
a block-by-block copy of unknown file systems.

Replies: Reply from jbmmllug at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] Computer Help)