Subject: [Leica] Re; Barcelona in color - not!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 21:02:14 -0700

Larry your apology accepted! :-) In any event, thank you, as I had not meant
any offence as I was merely re-acting to how my photographic life evolved
and the experinces through the years as a professional..

Actually I found your response most interesting and educational.
And I certainly understand your comment about blood being red and brain
matter gray having been in two war zones as a photojournalist. 1967 6 Day
War Middle East and 1968 Viet Nam. So body parts? I well understand.

Or in a much better environment.... "hospital OR's on and off during the
past 40 years!" :-) :-)

I completely agree with you on your technical points for reproduction during
the early years of printing and reproduction and the advances since the age
of digital.

I thought I should clarify a comment as the indicated number of images are
from my assignments only!

The numbers quoted are specific for the Ted Grant Collection held by the
National Archives of Canada as the largest collection by a single
photographer in the history of Canada. And in another building a few blocks
away, there are another 100,000 B&W negatives edited from documentary
assignmment projects I shot for the National Film Board of Canada across the
country on almost every conceivable subject from birthing to death. Only
today they are in the National Gallery of Canada vaults.

>>> Ted tries to support the dominance of B&W as preferable in news
>>> photography
> by saying "the 280,000 images in the National Archives of Canada
> collection?
> It's probably 75% B&W, 25% colour. Again simply because of the assignment
> and whether magazine assignments, travel or tourism or whether the client
> asked specifically to shoot in whatever medium."

An easy effort to support when my comment was about my own assignments for
publications and other clients. :-)

However this is really a round table discussion topic with a beer and a
bunch of folks chatting it up, rather than the back and forth of the
internet. Some day it would indeed be a great pleasure to chat up a photo
storm with you one on one and or with a bunch of the crew.

cheers,
ted

Replies: Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] Re; Barcelona in color - not!)