Subject: [Leica] Good image?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 14:25:05 -0700

Richard Man SHOWED:

> http://5pmlight.com/PICS/20110320-119.jpg
>
> I haven't cleaned all the dust spots. I like it, but as they say, we are
> our
> own worst editor (I don't believe that, just sayin' though)

Hi Richard,
 I never worry about spots unless I can see them with the naked eye. If so,
I get cracking spot them out and carry right on...... no big deal! Besides
today with digital and Photoshop it's an absolute no brainer. :-)

Try spotting a 16X20 print with a little spit on a brush off yer tongue,
touch a Kodak colour patch, remove the spot. Then do that several times on
100 16X20 prints! ;-) Now that's spotting! ;-) Near go blind by the time
you're finished!

OK back to your photograph? Heck man I'm admiring the content simply because
it's most interesting in a fog situation. Not whether it has one or a dozen
infinitesimal spots the human eye can't see unless you pop the image up 200
or 300 % on the computer screen! :-)

And as far as being our own worst editors?..... WE TRULY ARE! Whether one
likes it or not. How do I know?

Well when Sandy Carter was my associate she had second look at any of my
slide edited selections from a shoot. I'd be there all happy face thinking
I've just made the best ever edited selection and the next thing I'd damn
near be on the floor as this "VIPER TONGUED EDITOR SHREDDED ME
UNMERCIFULLY!" :-) No not quite that bad as it was usually my own fault
because I didn't do a smashing good shoot of content!

Her most cutting comment always was ... "IS THIS ONE OF YOUR ALL TIME 10
GREATEST PHOTOGRAPHS?"

In a voice tone that sometimes could curl the skin right off yer back! OUCH!
But no matter how tough she was on me..... she did it because she only
wanted the best to go before the client or public for my own good!

And each time after an awakening about some simple screw-ups on my part
because I got sloppy shooting, trust me her words are burned in my cranium
to this day each time I go on a shoot! She proved time and again that, " we
as individuals are our own worst editors.!"

However I like this photograph very much! So here's one more suggestion. ;-)

Don't show your photography and at the same time point out some little
negative aspect. WHY? Hell because yer pointing out something's wrong with
the shot before the viewer even looks at it! :-( You shoot yourself in the
foot! And that hurts!  "If only you kept your mouth shut" and let the viewer
MAYBE find a little thing ......... if they find anything? But offer nothing
but great praise for what you know is your wonderful photograph! :-)

And by keeping your mouth shut when the viewer points a tiny zit?
Immediately act major surprised, thank them profusely for pointing it out
and offer to correct it immediately! It's part of the photographic
psychological warfare day to day!

So endth the lesson for today!! :-)

cheers,
Dr. ted :-)