Subject: [Leica] Asia's advancement
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 17:41:26 -0400

Yes indeed, the technological advancement of Asia boggles the imagination. A
dozen years ago my #1 daughter and husband were US State Dept. officials in
Nepal. When we visited them in Kathmandu, one of their Nepalese friends told
us that in the valley in which he was born there was no electricity, roads,
or piped water. Kids ran around in bare feet until they were ten. What was
interesting about the discussion was that now he wanted to know which
computer operating system I preferred and which brand of cell phone was
considered the most reliable in the West. He admired my Mac Powerbook but
knew that since it was more than a year old, it would soon be replaced.

What a jump! From the Middle Ages to the late 20th century in half a
lifetime. I'll bet your next digital camera comes from China.

Larry Z

- - - - -

Nathan,

I got my first TV after both my sons were born in the early 1980s - that is

when broadcasts started on a pan-India scale. We had to wait 5 years to get

a telephone in those days, and it would take 3 days for an inter city

telephone call to come through (you had to book a call and wait). The

revolution in telecommunications and the rise of the middle class in the

last 20-25 years has been key to this transformation.

Cheers

Jayanand

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 3:29 AM, Nathan Wajsman <photo at