Subject: [Leica] M9 not writing files
From: john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster)
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 20:04:11 +0000

Thanks, I got both of mine last September. I expect B+H to have a high
turnover and my NZ dealer less so, never had a problem with SanDisk before
but following these threads a lot of people have with this particular era of
card  :-(

john

I responded also in this thread, because I had very similar problems
with 2 sandisk ultra 16GB cards. When I got my M9 in 2009, I also got 6
sandisk ultra 16GB. These original 6 cards perform flawless and still
do. Last summer I bought 2 additional sandisk ultra 16Gb (from amazon),
asfar as I can establish these were no counterfeits, but both these 2
cards gave me several times the problem of lost images. Luckely I
discovered this fast, so the damage was minor. I'm afraid that Sandisk
has changed something in the architecture of their ultra cards, because
on the original cards it takes the M9 abround 4 seconds to wite a full
36mb file to the card, while on the 2 newer ones it takes the M9 7-9
seconds. This is also confirmed using a test program on the pc
(H2Wtest) which gives for the older cards a write speed of 9mb/sec while
the 2 newer ones have a write speed of 4-5 mb/sec. But none of the cards
gave any errors with H2Wtest. I stopped using these 2 later sandisk
cards in the M9, and bought some Transcend 16GB class 10 cards, which
until now also perform flawless. These transcend cards have also the
advantage that they are much cheaper then the sandisk cards and have the
same performance as the original 6 sandisk cards.

Further I always reformat (quick) a card in the M9 after I have copied
the DNG's to the HD on the PC.

regards
Meino de Graaf

Message from meino at innerside.demon.nl (Meino de Graaf) ([Leica] M9 not writing files)