Subject: [Leica] Burka Para sailing in Penang
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 08:53:52 +0800

> Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 08:29:36 -0800
> From: <tedgrant at shaw.ca>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Burka Para sailing in Penang
> To: "Leica Users Group" <lug at leica-users.org>
>
> Howard offered:
> Subject: [Leica] Burka Para sailing in Penang
>

>> HI Luggers,
>>> Some more pictures from Batu Ferringhi beach in Penang:
>>
>> An Arab lady flying by herself in full burka
>>> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Beach2011/ParaBurkaW.jpg.html
>
> Hi Howard,
> I have to ask  what some might consider it a stupid question?
>
> But wouldn't it be considered pretty dangerouly stupid flying about
> with all
> that extra clothing on if you were to go down in the ocean water and
> have it
> weigh you down so you become a dead burka wearing body?
>
> Or do they have fast recovery boats for safety rescue if they do?
>
> Having enjoyed both para-sailing and parachute jumping I just can't
> imagine
> being all wrapped up in an outfit that may get me drowned! But I
> suppose ...
> "to each her own!" But still a scary way to para sail no matter how
> you cut
> it!
> cheers,
> Dr.ted

Hi Ted,
All para sailers wear life jackets but I don't know if that would
provide enough buoyancy when all that cloth got soaked.
No one got dunked in the two weeks we were there - although one
Chinese lady got run over by a jet sky while walking at the edge of
the water!
Lots of boats are there to save people if required - too many maybe
when you add in fishing boats and jet skies and para sailing.
What I liked was the independence the ladies showed given how
restricted they are at home.
Cheers
Howard