Subject: [Leica] Border's bankruptcy
From: gcr910 at gmail.com (Greg Rubenstein)
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 06:12:42 -0600

Anybody consider the management factor?

Received a mass e-mail from the CEO, as did thousands of others on the
chain's mailing list, talking about all the changes in the business: in
essence, blaming everyone else.

The chain seems to have been run the same way as newspapers whose management
totally blew it in failing to adapt their business models to changing
conditions.

And there is the real estate equation; I haven't a clue what Borders faced
in terms of leases and overall property ownership costs (had and has some
awfully pricey locations in Chicago which, with my limited knowledge, would
have to do extraordinarily high volumes to be viable).

Luckily, I have Hyde Park nearby and the handful of local new, used and
academic bookstores that surround The University of Chicago. Truth is these
stores and, likely, similar operations near many other universities, beat
the heck out of Borders and others.

Business/competition may be tough, but make changes, adapt. Isn't that what
we do when caught without a flash, tripod, the lens we want, the kind of
light we crave, etc.

Solve the problem. Do not blame conditions or others. To quote Larry the
Cable Guy, "Get 'er done."

Greg Rubenstein

Sent from my iPhone