Subject: [Leica] Planning a trip (with Leicas)
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 10:26:20 -0500

Phil,
If the trip is for photographic purposes and you plan to sell the pictures
you make, then, of course take all the professional quality equipment you
can handle. The M9 and M8 may not even be enough. Take a Canon SLR as well
and an assortment of lenses. But be aware that your primary concern will be
your equipment, its safety, its function, and the inconvenience of carrying
around equipment cases that seem to be stuffed with anvils.

On the other hand, if you want to enjoy yourself and build a store of
memories, take only one Leica body and a couple of lenses and an ultra
reliable backup camera, preferably one that uses film. Film is available
everywhere in Asia, processing too.

Some time ago I spent several years in SE Asia, packing a suitcase full of
expensive high end photo equipment. The humidity, dust, heat, and vibration
took its toll. Most of my successful pictures were made with a Rollei 35SE
that I threw in the camera bag as an afterthought. I could keep the camera
with me at all times is a small belt holster. The 40mm ultra sharp Sonnar
served admirably. The streets were too narrow for anything longer. No
regrets. Batteries not essential.

Larry Z