Subject: [Leica] IMG: annoying banding - is my M8 becoming a paper weight?
From: lkhermann at bresnan.net (lkhermann)
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 12:56:30 -0700

At 12:01 AM 1/24/2011, you wrote:
>Just unloaded a memory card with about 60 Leica M8 images. Of those,
>four had annoying banding such as this one:
>
>http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_netUM#1166286723_jgdU7-O-LB
>
>This is the first time I have seen this since buying the M8 in
>December 2008. I suppose I should concluded that Leica's quality
>control is precisely tuned so that the thing starts acting up just
>after the 2-year warranty expires.
>
>Has anyone else encountered a similar problem? If this gets worse, I
>will have to send the M8 to Solms, good thing I have my GF-1....
>
>Cheers,
>Nathan (not a happy camper this Monday morning)

Nathan,

I have noticed such banding before, but never in a photograph.
Generally I have thought that it was to be seen only in those cases
where the beer was really good  with a great head and each sip
resulted in a band.  In my experience I have often seen it with
English ales, but occasionally with other similar beers.  If this was
really a good waitress, she would have gotten you another glass of
beer.  Then the banding problem would have been solved.

All the other banding I see has good curves too.

Lee