Subject: [Leica] what are the most important aspects of a photographicimage?
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 21:05:12 -0800

I'm fully with you (and Ted) on this.

I've seen a number of original prints by AA, and they were
breathtaking, technically. Most were nice pictures, but very few were
truly moving. I guess what I'm saying is that in my not really
significant opinion, he should be mentioned among the greats, but not
necessarily as a photographer.

I get a lot more out of Weston's peppers than most of AA's photos.

However, all of this (my meandering) means very little as it is a
purely personal opinion formed by my life, genetics, whatever. To
each his own. My own photography has wandered over quite a wide area,
with lots of large format technical stuff, rapid fire decisive moment
Leica stuff, and a wide variation of each and in between. Just as I
don't feel that colour photography is better or worse than B&W for
any particular subject, I don't feel that one type of technique or
technical approach is better than another. Holgas have their place;
8x10 f/64 has its place.

That is why I've never agreed to judge photos, nor do I take part in
listing the points necessary for a good photo.

I know what I like when I see it, and just maybe I might sometimes be
able to start to express why I like a certain photo, but that
expression will just skim the surface of why I like it.

So for me, Adams is nice, but there are others' I like better. Frans
Lanting, for example. And I too like Bob Adler's landscapes better on
the whole.

--

       Henning J. Wulff
  Wulff Photography & Design