Subject: [Leica] What REAL MEN drink!
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 15:55:52 -0500

2011-01-05-12:46:30 Lawrence Zeitlin:
> Why waste your time and money on smokey, soap flavored whisky from
> Scotland!
> Moonshine is what REAL MEN drink. This Hudson Valley 100% corn whiskey
> harkens back to an earlier time before Prohibition when there were over
> 1200
> farm distilleries in New York State.

Those Hudson/Tuthilltown folk make some tasty spirits, unaged or aged.

http://tuthilltown.com/category/products

I first encountered their products at a spirit seminar or expo or some
such, where they were one of the exhibitors, maybe around two years
ago.  I liked the way they'd pour a taste, but wouldn't let it into
someone's hands until they'd dipped an eyedropper into their jar of
"pure Hudson water", and added exactly one drop of it to the whiskey.

Lovely stuff, and I was glad to be able to run some down at Astor Wine
& Spirits soon after.

It is remarkable just how much you taste the corn in the clear corn
squeezin's.  And actually how delicate the flavors are behind the
burn.  Kind of puts me in mind of grappa in that respect.

A similarly educational (but not quite as enjoyable to me) other
un-aged product is Buffalo Trace's "White Dog", which is the corn, rye
and malted barley mash which would become straight bourbon with some
years in wood.

 -Jeff