Subject: [Leica] what are the most important aspects of a photographic image?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 12:38:42 -0800

Montie Talbert offered to my AA comment:
Subject: Re: [Leica] what are the most important aspects of a
photographicimage?

> Ted, You have got to be joking!?
>  Montie

A tiny bit! :-)

But in reality and I will go to my death bed when it comes to AA and
everybody peeing their pants over what an incredible photographer he was.
Yes he made some very interesting images of things that did not move and
could wait 24 hours for just the right light and he exposed & developed one
sheet of film at a time according to his zone light system.

In my most early days I thought OK this is obviously some big name
successful American photographer who folks believe he's the great God of
some kind of Zone thing? So I better learn what it is.... PLEASE NOTE: I WAS
SHOOTING 35MM 36 EXP. FILM!" Not one sheet of film at a time.

1/
First off he was probably one of the finest technicians using the
photographic process in his fashion to shoot rocks,  ferns and non-breathing
things. Under live fire it might be interesting to see him doing his Zone
thing? That's not a put down as he had his way and I've had mine. We both
have been successful in our own way.  Many of you folks don't know my
photography as you know AA's. Nor do you know the recognitions given in my
country. That's life and all I need to know is I'm still alive enjoying
them. But my day will come. :-(

I generally have shot life of the world that happens in milliseconds as in
100 meter final race at the Olympics. The fleeting moments of disaster and
death.  Trust me "You have to be a very quick triggered finger shooter."
Little if any tought process but "click!'

Actually it was the '88 Summer Olympics in Seoul, Korea when I realized
there was only one real ZONE you needed to know...... "It was the
DE-MILITARIZED ZONE!"  DON'T GO THERE! :-)

2/ He was an incredible salesman of his system. No question even after he's
long gone people still drool over the "Zone System" even when they're
shooting 35mm film 36 frames at a time. And worse? ... Shooting digital!
Give me a break!

And if anybody can honestly explain to me how you make a zone system work
when shooting 36 exposure rolls of film under any number of light
conditions? "When the Zone system evolved for one sheet of film at a time?"

I still make fun of it as I see it as film exposing and developing
only........... But not  making interesting beautiful photographs.  A MAJOR
DIFFERENCE! You can use the zone system photographing a brick and make the
most mind blowing print the quality would have everyone peeing their pants
and heavy breathing over the PRINT! Content?  "oh yeah it's a brick. So?"

OH GEE NO QUESTION IT MAKES SUPER MAGICAL PRINTS! I've seen a couple of his
for real exhibitions in London U.K.. Technically the prints are quite
amazing..... that doesn't mean they are incredible photographs that some
people drool over with a great deal of saliva dripping in the developer
tray!

Nope I'm not a big fan of AA simply because "the photograph" leaves me as
cold as a cadaver! BUT THE PRINT QUALITY? IT's SO FAR BEYOND WHAT MOST
PEOPLE PRODUCE OR IMAGINE CAN BE DONE THEY ARE AMAZING & MAGICAL!

So there you go folks. I've said I admire the print quality without
question.... the actual images in many cases just leave me... "Oh yeah
interesting. Ho Hum!" But then that's the way it is for 100% of all
photographers regardless of whomever they are!

Sorry Montie.... "It's called that's life!" :-)
cheers,
Dr. ted