Subject: [Leica] what are the most important aspects of a photographic image?
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 11:44:17 -0600

On Jan 5, 2011, at 10:28 AM, Bob Adler wrote:

> Curious if folks feel that applies to landscapes too...
> Are the majority of impactful landscape photos BW or color? or both?
>
> I don't know if it's right to leave Adams out of the mix as he essentially
> has
> defined landscape photography for our generation. Maybe try to think of
> more
> recent landscape images that have impacted you.
>
> Just curious as one who concentrates more on landscape photography...

I don't even think it even necessarily applies to "people photographs."
It certainly applies to the work of people who believe it with passion
and passionately adhere to it; like Ted, others (and to a lesser extent
myself).

Yet "rules" are meant to be broken by those who see things differently.
We certainly know of color photographers who also manage to achieve
soulful photographs of our species.
<http://www.redbubble.com/people/buzzimage/art/2508017-2-self-portrait-color-version>

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/georgedeloache/3410506597/in/photostream/>
One may suggest that the above examples don't show whole lot of color in
clothes, etc.
and that's the point - the photographer has the ability to control their use
of color
- both during the shoot and in post processing.
That's why some call it an art (or even an Art).
<http://www.fotocare.com/blog/business-and-marketing-tips/fotocare-featured-photo-blog-isotoicaeveryday/>

(and by the way
sometimes the clothes, tattoos, jewelry, et al
are very much tied into "soul" of a subject)

Still comes down to:
what do YOU want to say?
and
how do YOU want to say it?
(or as has been pointed out
what does the client want you to say?
and how does (s)he want you to say it?)

If Bob feels strongly about the "landscape" color
has something to say about that
and knows how to communicate his passion for it;
then he has to go for it.

If another photographer finds the colors
in the way of what he feels and wants to present
his perceptions in rich monochrome tones
then that's what he's got to do.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com