Subject: [Leica] What are the most important aspects of a photographic image ?
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 19:30:15 -0600

My first photo seminar was with a Famous West Coast Photographer.  His
advice was ditch the 35mm and get a real camera (I think I brought an M3
and a couple of Summicrons, or maybe a Contax to the class, but
definitely TriX).  So I bought a nice 4x5 field outfit, a Linhof
Technica and lenses, and for good measure an 8x10 rig also.  The focus
part was a little tedious.  Once you knew the distance to the target,
you pulled out a little chart for each lens that showed the range of
focus for each stop, based on your desired circle of confusion.  Then
you measured the various zones, which gave you the key to the ISO for
that shot and thus the development time for that particular sheet, based
on your densitometer tests.  After, of course, you had consulted your
reciprocity failure chart.  Sometimes it happened that by the time I
made the exposure everything of interest, including the light, had
vanished.  Then the light bulb began to flicker on that something
more...immediate...might be appropriate.  Then, Gracia Dios, along came
digital and the exposure comp dial.

Ken

Replies: Reply from leowesson at gmail.com (LeoWesson) ([Leica] What are the most important aspects of a photographic image ?)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] What are the most important aspects of a photographic image ?)