Subject: [Leica] New and Old Year photos
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 20:27:02 +1030

Still trying with digital B&W.  When the illuminance range is within
the range of the sensor, it's pretty nice:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/75+Summilux/fionn+web.jpg.html
 M8, Summilux 75.

The garden continues to produce elements of tasty meals:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/75+Summilux/borlotti+beans.jpg.html
 M8, Summilux 75.

In September last year, Anita and I had a fantastic night out in New
York City with Mark Rabiner.  After meeting at Tom's at W112th and
Broadway, we wandered through Columbia University and then on to a
Greek restaurant, the Hungarian Pastry Shop, The Cathedral of St John
the Divine and a little public transport odyssey before saying
goodbye.  A great night out.  I'd been working and we were fatigued
and this was exactly what I needed.  Here's a photo from where we met:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/USA/rabs+web.jpg.html - I
stopped down a little (maybe f2-2.8?) because of the potential for bad
bokeh, about which Rabs and I long ago agreed to disagree.
Interestingly, in the highlights you can see texture from the
polishing on the aspherical element in my 35/1.4 asph, here at 100%:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/USA/rabs+highlight+asphere.jpg.html
 I don't like the rendition of these highlights and this texture
really catches my eye and bugs me, even in the full size version
printed large.  My eyes are distractable and particular.  This is
posted because I otherwise like the photo and because it points out to
me how some things have this amazingly strange way of appearing at
moments when they are entirely apropos.  I've been looking for a good
example of this for a long time.

Happy new year everyone.

Marty

Replies: Reply from lluisripollquerol at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] New and Old Year photos)