Subject: [Leica] Time-lapse of lunar eclipse
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 10:45:23 -0800

Just found this, a time-lapse sequence of the entire Winter Solstice lunar
eclipse from start to finish, as seen from Florida.  Well worth watching,
and you don't have to stand out in the cold for hours to see it.  And the
rendition of some of the partial phases demonstrates how and why
automation doesn't always give the best exposure.

<http://laughingsquid.com/winter-solstice-lunar-eclipse-time-lapse/>

Here in Seattle, we had variable high, thin clouds for the first half of
the eclipse, so we could see the moon some of the time. I saw the first
little "cookie bite" out of the moon, and also the first few minutes of
totality--a nice view of the coppery moon with a tiny bit of brightening
along the edge.

The thin clouds made the moon's features variably fuzzy, it wouldn't have
made a good picture. And the coppery hue was much more apparent through
binoculars. Then thicker clouds rolled in, and that was that.

I didn't try to photograph, I just enjoyed the experience.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from daniel at dlridings.se (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Time-lapse of lunar eclipse)