Subject: [Leica] R glass on Nikon question
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 07:58:53 +0800

Hi Aram,
In my personal experience with Nikon D200, D300 and now D700 cameras, you
mount the R lens re-bayoneted for Nikon (thank you David Lladro of Leitax)
set the camera to Aperture Preferred,
and as you close down the aperture, the shutter speed adjusts - in a linear
fashion (not like the Canon) and you get correct exposures. The D7000 has
the same ability to use old Nikon lenses as both the D300 and the D700 -
please see:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond7000/page2.asp
and so should work with re-bayoneted lenses in the same way as its bigger
brothers. There is no need for a communication between the R lens and the
camera body.
The D7000 and other higher level Nikon digital SLRs can be set for up to 9
non CPU lenses - focal length and maximum f stop - this is useful for EXIF
data - and can be easily accessed by assigning the function button (on the
lower right front of the camera) to non cpu lens data. It is just a push of
the button and a twist of the rear dial to set for each lens - and if you
forget to do it - there is no effect on the picture recording.
For details on setting this up please contact me off list.
Perhaps the D90 was set to not fire the shutter when no lens was attached
and that would explain why it locked up??
Best Regards
Howard