Subject: [Leica] IMG: Religious Jews and artists of Tzrfat
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 23:51:58 -0800

Tzfat (also spelled Sefod or Zefod) is a high hilltop town in northern
Israel.  The old town looks much like it did in the1500s, when Rabbi
Joseph Caro wrote the "Shulchan Aruch," one of the major works of
traditional Jewish law there.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/BusTzfat/L1007502.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/BusTzfat/L1007556.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/BusTzfat/L1007545.jpg.html>

Tzfat is a major center for study of the Kabbalah. The prominent
Orthodox community includes some fine artists.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/BusTzfat/L1007525_1_001.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/BusTzfat/L1007551_1.jpg.html>

Both of the gentlemen above are photographers knew exactly what a Leica
was. The younger man, whose name is Alon, asked me if he could try out
my M8, and took a picture of me.  I saw a painting of his that showed a
photographer's love of light. The older man, Yaakov, is French-born, a
former hippie and light show impresario, and uses some pretty up-to-date
digital techniques in his art.  He was telling me about the photo to the
right of his head--he went into the desert with a camera and tripod,
took a picture of himself with a self timer, and then processed it
digitally to get the B&W effect he wanted.

Can't decide between B&W and color in this one, I like them both for
different reasons. What do you think?
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/BusTzfat/L1007546_3.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/BusTzfat/L1007546_2.jpg.html>

--Peter