Subject: [Leica] IMG: Early Flash Adaptation by E. Leitz N.Y.
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 13:08:23 -0600

My first Leica was bought, used, from Salem Camera Shop in Dayton, OH, in
1952.  It was unusual, because it had been adapted for flashbulb
synchronization by E. Leitz N.Y.  Though I sold the flashgun to another list
member, I still have the camera and synchronizer.

The synchronizer is built into a special baseplate.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Leica+IIIa+with+Flash+Synchronizer.jpg.html

The wheel on the bottom of the shutter shaft was modified by the addition of
a milled slot.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Slot+in+Shutter+Post+Wheel.jpg.html

The two parts were synchronized by a pin on the rotating part of the
synchronizer.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Connecting+Pin+to+Synchronizer.jpg.html
This pin fit into the milled slot, and the two parts could only be joined
with the shutter released.

The synchronizer had a slide adjustment that was used to match the sync to
the shutter speed in use.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Slide+Adjustment+for+Shutter+Speed.jpg.html
The red line corresponded to 1/200 of a second.

Each unit was customized for the camera, and the camera serial number was
inscribed on the unit.

I used this system for a number of years, and it never failed to deliver.
Here is a Kodachrome shot with fill flash, from 1953.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Cigar+Box/Donna02sm+53.jpg.html

The Christmas Season always brings on nostalgia. ;~)

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

Replies: Reply from afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin at afirkin.com) ([Leica] IMG: Early Flash Adaptation by E. Leitz N.Y.)