Subject: [Leica] IMG: What do people look like - photographed?
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 16:29:57 -0600

As part of my practice I often attempt to frame candid photographs without
having the camera near the eye; in order to develop the ability to determine
angles, field of view, guesstimate focus distance, etc.

In this particular case I simply held the camera at arms length; looked at
the lens; adjusted angles for guesstimated composition; relaxed and played
to the light. This is the last and best of four exposures. Each of the
previous exposures were subtly and progressively adjusted as they gave me
useful information re: light, focus, and framing.

Digital makes this type of practice much easier of course. In my old
journalist days I burned a lot of film learning how to successfully reach
over, or around, a crowd at arms length; at times with the camera on a mono
pod using a long release; with focus and exposure preset; and imagining what
the lens sees.

Not a fan of mirror self portraits
(except when drawing - as seen here:
<http://george-lottermoser.smugmug.com/Other/My-Smug-Mug/14816617_bbRSb#1105356757_kvfMZ-O-LB>