Subject: [Leica] Noise
From: afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin at afirkin.com)
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 01:48:04 -0400

> Alastair?
>
> In answer to your question about the low noise level in bright-light
> exposures at ISO 2500, here's my suspicion: The amount of noise in a given
> exposure depends on a number of variables, one of which is the duration of
> the exposure. Perhaps at ISO 2500, 1/1000th at f/4 means noticeably less
> noise than 1/60th at f/16, despite the fact that the number of photons is
> the same in both cases.
>
> I'll do a comparison and post it.
>
> ?howard

That's certainly a start. Noise is random, and may well be time dependent.
This does not seem to  explain why Doug's "trick" with the DMR seems to
work. Choose an ISO say 200 and expose as if its 400 (ie -1ev) and the
results are better than choosing 400 to start with, though the shutter
speed would be the same.

There is more to this. Why would one sensor be "less noisy" than another
made by the same manufacturer. ie Sony sensors V Nikon results. If you
process the RAW images without "interference" will they look the same. I
suspect there is a "fiddle" even with the RAW images.

Cheers

Alastair

Message from afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin at afirkin.com) ([Leica] IMG: Roofers at 2500 ISO)
Message from hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter) ([Leica] IMG: Roofers at 2500 ISO)