Subject: [Leica] Nikon or Canon Full Frame; All Good (Older User's Perspective)
From: rsphotoimages at comcast.net (Bob Shaw)
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 13:37:57 -0700

I was drawn to the D700 based on multiple Leitax posts and from other
internet sources.

I went to Glaser's Camera in Seattle (Leica dealer) and negotiated - as in I
didn't get stabbed too deeply - and traded of my entire R Kit:  R8, R9,
28-90 Asph, 70-180 APO, Motor Drive and Charger for what I thought was going
to be a D700 with two zooms of similar range (if not quality).

I ended up with a 5D Mk II, 24-105 USM, 70-200 USM MkII and a 430 Mk II
flash, primarily because the comparable Nikon kit was nearly $900.00 more
for Nikon.  Because I promised myself whatever I "bought" would have to be a
net zero transaction.  Nothing personal; just business.

Now in my opinion either camera is a major improvement just for the ease of
shooting.

So, why all of a sudden this change?

1.  After roughly 300 exposures, I see that I am now getting back what I saw
through the view finder, not what the CD yields after scanning Leica R negs.
 Dynamic Range to Burn.

2.  Almost all my shots are in focus.  If they're not, it's still my fault
for not believing what the little red rectangles were trying to tell me.

3.  The full-frame sensor produces tons of dynamic range and very rewarding
enlargements.  Of course, same with D700.

4.  No more tiresome whining about poor shots to my patient, long-suffering
wife.

5.  I really grew tired of waiting for an R10 to hook up with my legacy
Leica glass.

6. Oh yeah, and I'm not getting any younger (indirect quote from Dr. Ted).

So my only film camera now is the trusty Contax T2 which is in rehab while I
look for a replacement back door - the Kyocera Ceramic film pressure plate
developed a hairline crack, rendering all exposures just slightly out of
focus.  My wife can't wait for it to get well - she loves the camera and
what it yields.  But it's a keeper.

To be sure, the Canon(Nikon) lenses are no match for the heft, haptics and
results of Leica glass, but I've also been a bit amazed at the results from
the new 70-200, especially hand held.  Come to think of it, the new 24-70
makes a great "on-camera" lens when I use it properly.

This isn't about D700 vs 5D Mk II.  It's about the freedom for an older guy
with a less steady hand and focusing eye to harvest images worthy of keeping
in iPhoto for later "migration" to Aperture for serious fine tuning.

This change has been so easy I almost felt guilty.  But I don't.

I'm enjoying photography again and will continue to contribute to the LUG as
long I can be helpful and learn from such a fine collection of ladies and
gentleman photographers.

Cheers,   Bob in Seattle

Bob Shaw
rsphotoimages at comcast.net