Subject: [Leica] some fine work here
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 14:31:52 -0700
References: <6D50FC49-05D5-4D5D-953E-497902A4361D@mac.com> <AANLkTi=VK8Viut8s8dn9=dnvp71mJmMw4d1-WrBhZ9VE@mail.gmail.com> <4AC7C216-717E-4DC9-924E-B53606CA3835@mac.com> <AANLkTikhgJ2t4W40WfG2X01Vnny+MiFnSxu05WUSrC_k@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTi=5aqrp7vQRG-FDkVQnDVoJYJHSVedsbwzJZWoR@mail.gmail.com> <C63964E5-5CFB-4461-85C4-66F86BC259BC@gmail.com> <AANLkTi=Z8R5=_01rFWiRw9NbfRwd4mXMCduxQOOWTH2m@mail.gmail.com> <3B766393-B35B-443E-AD3D-08E84C21B045@frozenlight.eu>

Nathan Wajsman offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] some fine work here

>I agree with Kyle in his assessment of Tina's picture.
>
> As a general comment, I too find it challenging to find new angles on
> familiar places. I just finished editing my pictures from Berlin and am
> about to upload the gallery. Because it is a place with so many iconic
> sights (the new parliament building, Brandenburger Tor etc.) I really
> tried hard to focus on other things. In fact, I did not go to any of the
> "standard" places at all, with the possible exception of East Side
> Gallery.<<<<<<<<<

Hi Nathan
It is a challenge anytime one is asked to shoot new photos of familiar
places, certainly those shot numerous times before.

When asked to do this type of assignment I immediately set times to shoot at
times I may not have shot before. And certainly a different lens and work it
to death looking for new angles.

But what usually is successful? .... go at dawn, as light is just beginning
in first light,. Return at dusk and midnight! WHY?

Well rarely do others go at these times, including yourself because we're
still in bed, gone to bed or are busy with other things.

So when you shoot at completely wild new times, you find new image quality.
Or you should if you have an imaginative eye to see! It's the light acting
in away it doesn't at 3pm in the afternoon when you may have shot before and
even though you produced interesting images.... you do not want to repeat
yourself as you are not being paid to do that!

It's always the light that contributes to the most successful images any
time, so see what it looks like shot at different times than you might
normally do..

ERGO: You are more excited and interested in seeing what you can produce at
different light times.

A passing thought from experience.
Dr. ted

Replies: Reply from rbaron at concentric.net (Robert D. Baron) ([Leica] some fine work here)