Subject: [Leica] IMG: It's Full of Stars
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:35:11 -0500

Not a bad idea at all Morton.

Followed by hard ass critique:

Your example has the look of an ophthalmological study;
rather than a "portrait."
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akQCYur1mzk>

Yet a "portrait," in the best sense of the term,
requires that we consider light, moment, expression, composition, etc.
to draw all we can from and about the subject
(even if focusing on a minute part of a person).

Examples of going the extra step (if macro portraiture is the intention):
<http://www.gallerym.com/work.cfm?ID=986>
or
imagine a macro crop from these portraits:
<http://www.fotografbrun.no/portretter>
or
Re: Bill Brandt - Beginning in the 1960's Brandt did two telling things. He
reprinted much of his early work onto high-contrast paper to bring out the
black and white, and he returned to his Surrealistic roots by photographing
the eyes of artists. This exhibition includes four old eyes -- a shiny eye
belonging to Henry Moore, a sad eye belonging to Jean Arp, a benign eye
belonging to George's Braque, and a white-lashed eye belonging to Alberto
Giacometti -- each floating in its own fold of old flesh. These elephantine
oddities seem to carry a message. Each artist has an idiosyncratic eye.
<http://www.billbrandt.com/Galleries/Resources/gallery10b.jpg?138>
<http://www.billbrandt.com/Galleries/Resources/gallery17b.jpg?971>
<http://www.billbrandt.com/Galleries/Resources/gallery14b.jpg?883>
<http://www.billbrandt.com/Galleries/Resources/gallery23b.jpg?76>

The idea was a good one.
Did you work the idea?
Did you take many "poses" as you would with a portrait session?
Did you vary the light to get it right?

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com