Subject: [Leica] Paypal sting
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 21:06:16 -0700

On 11 Sep 2010, at 8:50 PM, lug-request at leica-users.org wrote:

> Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 00:42:40 +0000 (UTC)
> From: "J. Newell" <john.o.newell at comcast.net>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] EBay Paypal sting - off topic
> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
>
> John has it right, IMO.? If payment is by PayPal, under their rules
> you are crazy to ship by any method that is not trackable with proof
> of delivery and not fully insured.?? I've given up trying to ship
> things overseas due to the cost, which neither the would-be buyer
> nor I want to pay. :-(
>
> John Newell

Hi John (and John C.)
I did ship with a tracking number and Paypal still refunded the guy
his money because the sea shipment was (is) too slow. It took me three
tries and three hours today to have a conversation with a senior
dispute settlement officer at Paypal and I managed to get her to admit
that the money shouldn't have been refunded so quickly - given it was
a sea shipment. And she put a note on the file that I can make a
counter claim up to October if I have proof of delivery. So that may
be some progress.Thank goodness for the tracking!! And, yes, I have
learned a lesson and will now sell only into North America. Unless it
is a friend and we have a prior consult about shipping. What will be
interesting is when the guy has received the parcel, I have proof of
delivery and then he refuses to pay.
Cheers
Howard

Replies: Reply from kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner) ([Leica] Paypal sting)