Subject: [Leica] Filter System for "M" Landscape Photography
From: rgacpa at yahoo.com (Bob Adler)
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 08:19:40 -0700 (PDT)

Moving on from the UV/IR filter battle, I've just finished "constructing"
an arrangement for my M that allows me to use the Lee filters that I use for
my
other  camera systems. I now can use one set of filters for my Canon, Hassy
and
4x5.

Lee is now selling (though I'm not sure they're actually producing any as no
one
has them) it's RF filter system, which costs about $800 for a starter kit
(one
46mm mount, one polarizing filter, filter holder (holds about 2 filters) and
couple of graduated neutral density (ND) filters. That was a bit rich for me
added with the fact that I would've had to buy a whole new set of filters
because of the odd size of the holder (not 4x6 as all my other Lee filters
are).

My solution was to buy 49mm and 55mm Cokin "Z Pro" filter holders; one
fitting a
55mm lens (my 21mm M lens) and one fitting a 49mm lens (my 135). These are
the
only two "Z Pro" holders that fit my M lens. For the other sizes I needed,
46mm
for my 50 and 39mm for my 35, I bought a regular Cokin system holder for
each.
They make them in those two sizes. I glued those on the other side of the
49mm
holder and, since they would have blocked the hole in my 55mm holder, bought
another 49mm holder to glue the other one to. Both obviously glued together
on
their non-thread sides.

At any rate, I can now use all my Lee filters with my M. Total cost was
about
$50. Though you can't really see what your doing through the viewfinder, you
can
guess pretty well and adjust when you view on the LCD screen if you have a
digital M. I have used a similar technique in the past (just hand holding a
ND
or grad ND filter in front of the lens and guessing) with film and it's
worked
out well, especially the ND filters which don't require any particular
placement.

Just thought I'd pass this on for anyone daring to put an M on a tripod to
take
landscapes :-)

Best,
Bob