Subject: [Leica] IMG: Homework
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 07:16:26 -0700

Tina Manley showed:

> PESO:
>
> One more and then I really have to go and paint the porch floor:
>
> Homework -
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/tinamanley/61953-69410.jpg.html
>
> <http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/tinamanley/61953-69410.jpg.html>C&C
> greatly appreciated <<<<<<<

Hi Tina,
A beautiful moment of concentration! Available light, reflection off the
paper he's writing on as a fill light.  No need for flash destroying the
mood. :-) But then that's the result of a fine photographer with a great set
of eyes and observation.

This is such a simple life style photograph, a sample of what documenting
humans is all about.

We in North America are so accustomed to seeing young people with a cell
phone or other electronic contraption plugged into the side of their head or
finger typing messages back and forth it's hard to believe there are kids
who live in dirt floor huts and do their school work with a pencil and
scraps of paper..

But that's what makes the photo even more powerful! Not one thing other than
a pencil and a piece of paper. And people and kids of North America can't
live without there dingle berry what's it in hand and against their ear.
It's the beauty of simplification that makes this such a strong photograph.
Not to forget the lighting.
cheers,

ted

Replies: Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] IMG: Homework)