Subject: [Leica] Leica Still Producing Film Cameras
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 07:23:10 +1000

Chris, I'm not sure if you read the article that was linked. Perhaps you
only read the rumour which started at that Asahi article and most recently
has been apparently taken as fact by The On-line Photographer site.

"However, asked by BJP to clarify the situation, Leica says that it "*has
not stopped producing its analogue camera models*, the Leica M7 and Leica
MP, nor does it currently have any intention to do so."

Leica adds that although "the demand for analogue Leica camera models is not
high, it is stable, and we are still producing cameras on a daily basis as
always." It also says that any visitors to Leica Camera's head-office in
Germany can "see both analogue and digital models being produced," as
confirmed by a film made last year at the Leica factory by L-Camera Forum
*(see
below)*."

I don't know if you have ever visited the factory or spoken to staff there?
Many Leica Camera products are produced in batches rather than continuously,
especially low volume lenses (for example the Nocti, The Summiluxes etc.) As
you might expect the M9 is by far the most in demand camera body and is
their production priority. It would be physically impossible and business
nonsense for evey item to be in continuous production on every single day.

The film M's are still available ala carte as far as I know but that is by
definition on demand of course. A (very rare) ala carte camera would be
assembled from parts from a normal batch as far as possible with the
customised parts being the difference of course. You don't start a line to
make one camera. Looking at the possible variations it would make sense that
the custom work is all at Solms rather than the Portugal factory which
delivers a substantially assembled body to Solms.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman

Message from chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich) ([Leica] Leica Still Producing Film Cameras)