Subject: [Leica] Seen God
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 10:56:20 +0530

I had gone into the rainforests of the Western Ghats mountain range,
at a place called Valparai in Tamil Nadu (the state which I belong to,
and stay in), mainly to see the endemic flora and fauna (including
leeches!) during the monsoons. At a beautiful view point - the day was
very wet and overcast, so the landscape shots had to wait for another
day - I met this man, Velu, who claimed to have seen Murugan, one of
the Hindu pantheon of Gods at this spot in 1983. Since then, for the
last 27 odd years, he has been coming to this spot at 11am to extol
the glory of God. This has become a part of local folklore, so much so
that the spot is nowadays officially called "Seen God". Here is Velu
explaining to us the circumstances under which he saw Murugan. There
are psychological connotations as well - "Vel" means spear in Tamil,
and Murugan is always depicted with a spear in traditional religious
iconography, and Velu is a popular name for the God. He seemed
slightly unbalanced in a peaceful sort of way, but he spoke good
English as well as Tamil, which probably shows an educated background.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Rainforest/_JGR3863bBWP2.jpg.html

C & C always welcome!

Cheers
Jayanand