Subject: [Leica] Was Today is 8/9/10 Now Metric
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 17:51:34 -0400

2010-08-09-11:57:54 Tina Manley:
> I totally agree that conversion doesn't work.  You need to start thinking
> in
> metric - just like with a foreign language.  Don't translate -  think in
> the
> other language.  Metric makes so much more sense.

I'm partly immersed.  Fahrenheit (zero is the lowest temperature he
happened to be able to achieve in a brine bath?  100 was his body
temperature, but he had a fever that day?) has such unutterably stupid
anchor points that I rejected it years ago.  Modern home thermostats
and computer weather websites can all be taught to remember to use
degrees-C.  We live that way (Kathryn is very flexible about certain
foibles).  Water freezes at 0, boils at 100.  We set the thermostat
around 22 in the winter and 26 in the summer.  I don't even have a
feel anymore for what "76" or "85" outside means.

But then... I still think about speed in miles per hour, because I
can't flip a digital switch and get all the road signs to change.
Even the dual-units signs which were going up for awhile seem to have
faded away.  No velocity immersion possible.  Feh.

 -J

Replies: Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] Was Today is 8/9/10 Now Metric)
Message from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Was Today is 8/9/10 Now Metric)