Subject: [Leica] Powerful Photograph
From: hewthompson at mac.com (Hugh Thompson)
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 13:08:12 +0430

Tina, yes, indeed ..... and a heartrending story.  Problem is, it is
not said, but should be said, there are many positive aspects to
Afghan society.  I have been able to personally observe great respect,
love, and affection, exhibited in the extended family structure.

I have many Afghan friends and acquaintances here, for whom I have the
greatest respect, but, of course Kabul is not the whole country.
Likewise, there is a huge difference in the way people in western
countries behave, we have seen multiple murderers, torturers, and
serial rapists, in what are called civilized countries.  We must also
remember past and recent history of terrible warfare and atrocities,
in Europe.

I am, in no way, defending what was done to this poor girl, but, this
example, and the ongoing violence, in general, is part of the growing
pains of a country moving from a rural, male dominated, and, to our
minds, ignorant, society, into the 21st Century - the agonies of
which, are watched over by reporters and photographers aggressively
looking for news items that will trigger western emotions, and sell
publications.

I have not been able to do it yet, but I hope, later this year, to
bring you examples of the more pleasant side of Afghanistan, as Wendy
and I did recently.  Perhaps, if one of the pictures is good enough,
it will be found on the front of Time magazine showing the true
character of the Afghan people, but, of course, that would not be
sensational.

Hugh

hewthompson at mac.com
Kabul, Afghanistan