Subject: [Leica] Remarkably good cheap printer
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 18:37:58 -0700

It is amazing how ink jet technology can improve in less than a
decade. Some years ago, a friend who had bought an Epson with a 13"
bed recommended that model and there was an equivalent with an 8"bed.
I think I must have paid about $300 for it, as a printer for my wife
to use.

This year, she bought a new Mac laptop and a choice of three Epson
printers was offered as a bonus, two for free and one for a $25
co-pay. The one I chose was the Artisan 50 because it used six
independent ink cartridges--her previous printer had all colors in
one cartridge (Ugh). The retail price of that printer is a mere $100.

After discovering what great prints this thing can make, I adopted
it, leaving my poor wife with her old one. Granted it has only an 8"
bed. Granted that it uses dyes instead of the more archival pigments.
But, choosing the slowest printing, where the paper advances by
millimeters and takes several minutes to print even a 4 x 6, I doubt
that high-priced gear can really produce better colors or definition.

A friend in England liked one of his pictures so much that he ordered
an (I suppose expensive) print made from the digital image onto type
C paper. Out of sheer curiosity and possibly mischief, I downloaded
his picture from Flickr,printed it on 8 1/2 x 11, and mailed it to
him. He pronounced my colors to be better!

Herb
--
Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org