Subject: [Leica] IMG: Panorama Muir Lake now Silver Falls
From: leicar at (Aram Langhans)
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 21:44:42 -0700

First, sorry Tina.  I seem to have hijacked your thread.  Not intended.

Richard.  Valid criticisms.

The dynamic range was tremendous.  I did not try HDR, since I have never had
any luck making that look "normal", so I just worked with the RAW files to
achieve the best balance I could.  Besides, I have no idea how to blend as a
panorama and HDR in the same photo.

I can see that it lacks focus to someone who was not there, which is
everybody seeing this photo, so in that respect I guess it is a weak photo.
To me, it brings back the awe and vastness of this undercut and the feeling
of walking behind the waterfall.  So, I would guess my focus was the
waterfall framed as it was, and the people hopefully give it scale.  If
course, if I have to explain this, the photo is a failure in that respect.
A panning video might be better suited to get the mood across.  And with
sound it would be even better.

A sincere thanks for your comments.  I think these comments are far more
instructive than, "nice job" comments.   I will try harder next time.

> From: Richard Man <richard at>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] IMG: Panorama Muir Lake
> To: Leica Users Group <lug at>
> In my eyes only, the dynamic range is a bit too wide. The climber is too
> "even" with the waterfall, so there's a lack of tension and feels like
> just
> two major elements meshed together. What's the focus? The climber in the
> shade, or the waterfalls framed by the "eye?"
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 6:54 AM, Aram Langhans <leicar at> wrote:
>> I agree, Tina.  So easy it almost takes the fun out of it.  Ha.  You have
>> some great ones.  I would think it would make a great large print.
>> I just visited Silver Falls State Park in Oregon and did a CS5 Pano of my
>> own:
>> Best viewed large.
>> Comments welcome.
>> Aram

Replies: Reply from richard at (Richard Man) ([Leica] IMG: Panorama Muir Lake now Silver Falls)