Subject: [Leica] Received M8 & lenses repaired/adjusted by Solms
From: geordiepete211 at yahoo.co.uk (Peter Cheyne)
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 20:26:27 +0900

I appreciate the food for thought, guys.  I haven't phoned Leica, but
I e-mailed them saying the 90 T-E is worse than before, and I attached
test photos at f/2.8 (wide open).  The focus fault has nothing to do
with VF magnification, because I lay the tape at an angle so the RF
patch shows a double image of the tape as an 'X' and I just get the
lines of the 'X' to intersect at the 1, 2, or 3m spot.  Also, I am 37
years old and have 20/20 vision, always surprising the optometrist at
my annual health check-up.  Beside, the returned 90mm lens is not out
by millimeters, but is way out by about a quarter of a meter at 2m,
and 40cm at 3m.  Totally unacceptable.

I appreciate and understand Peter's response, but I can see that this
problem is not focus shift but front-focusing.  This is because the
error remains about the same, percentage-wise, at the 3 distances, and
it is as present at f/5.6 as it is at f/2.8.  Peter's response (much
appreciated, thanks) made me think that the Leica techs might have
chosen to optimize the lens for narrower apertures.  This makes sense
as the 90 Tele-Elmar's strength is its light weight and small size,
making it a great outdoor 90.  I just tested it at f/5.6 and compared
it with the previous wide open test.  Same result:  unusable front-
focus.  Tried it again at f/11:  same.  Didn't test it at f/16 for
obvious reasons.   They decided to charge me for work I was assured
would be a free service.  I double-checked the invoice, as Geoff
suggested, but no extra work apart from the adjustment was made.  I
doubt the lens was disassembled, because the front element of my 90 T-
E was a little dirty around the rim on the inside when I sent it, and
it was the same when returned.  That in itself is disappointing for a
420 Euro "service".  Even my bike repair man cleans my wheel when he
replaces an inner tube.  Anyway, that is not what I am complaining
about.  Honestly, I doubt they even serviced the 90.  Perhaps it just
got worse during transit.  Or Solms are running out of elves and make
the numbers up gremlins.

Nathan and others suggested that I ask my credit card company to stop
the payment.  I didn't think of that until suggested. However, the
lens "adjustment" "work" was paid for together with the sensor
replacement on the M8.  I am satisfied with the M8 repair job they
did.  Wouldn't it be unfair of me to stop the full payment?   I don't
think that Visa would be able to make a partial payment stop.  The
camera itself has a fresh one-year guarantee, but I don't think that
applies to the lenses.  However, I still have enough faith in Leica's
good will to expect that they will give this lens special attention
when I return it again.  I am also looking forward to reading what the
Leica tech has to say about the test photos I made with the so-called
adjusted 90 Tele-Elmar.

By the way, I live in Japan, and I have always received tip-top
service from Canon when I had to have lenses/cameras repaired or
serviced here.  Canon even overlooked the 3 months by which my
warranty was out of date on my 20D a few years ago, and replaced the
exhausted shutter free of charge. Then again, Canon products are
cheaper in the US than they are in Japan, so the service cuts over
there make sense.  Canon certainly never grubbed around for extra
money from me by disappointingly telling me I now have to pay for what
they had previously assured me would be a free service.

Here are the new test photos I made at f/5.6 just to see if it was a
focus shift problem rather than front-focusing.  It is front-focusing,
and therefore reparable.  I paid Leica good Euros to make my lens this
inaccurate.  Granted the lens is an old model, maybe made in Canada in
the 70s.  But my old 90 Cron works better on my M8 than this just-back-
from-Solms Tele-Elmar, and my old goggled 135/2.8 is absolutely spot-
on with my M8. If the 3D film thickness versus virtually 2D sensor
plane effect isn't necessary with my old 90 Cron and 135/2.8, then I
don't accept it as a reasonable excuse for my "adjusted" T-E to be out
by so much as to make it worse than before.  It wasn't even so bad
before, I just figured, hey, let's get it perfect so I'll be a happy
customer.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=90%20Tele-Elmar%20f%2F5.6&w=73557746%40N00

Cheers,

Peter Cheyne