Subject: [Leica] Received M8 & lenses repaired/adjusted by Solms
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 00:11:46 -0700

Robert:  I'm sure it does, if you focus wide open and the diaphragm
closes down to shoot..  But you would probably only notice it with fast
lenses, like a 50/1.4 stopped down to f/2.8 or f/4.  By f/8, depth of
field covers the shift.

Since focusing with the reflex is often a bit less accurate than a
properly calibrated rangefinder, you might not notice the pattern and
blame the slightly out of focus shots on some other factor.  But focus
shift is simply a property of fast lenses.

I honestly wonder how many of the complaints of "back focus" we hear on
DSLR forums is really focus shift.

--Peter