Subject: [Leica] Received M8 & lenses repaired/adjusted by Solms
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 12:31:22 +1000

Peter you would understandably be very disappointed. It does sound as though
you are satisfied with the M8 work and cost but not the prices and
performance of the lens work.
I can only comment that two modern lenses (that were under guarantee) were
calibrated for me for free when I paid to have my M8 upgraded. At that time
(12 months ago) the normal cost quoted to calibrate a lens out of guarantee
was 151 EURO per lens. Tht is EX-Solms. I don't know where freight costs fit
into your stuation. It is important to keep in mind that any work done in
addition to the adjustment would be charged additional. This should have
been indicated in your quotes if you look at them again. For example if the
elements needed disassembly or cleaning or the focus mechanism repaired or
there was otherwise some damage. It sounds like the lenses you sent were
older ones? Not under warranty but also perhaps needing further work? You
should have an abbreviated list of just what was done on the invoices.

For focus testing it's not clear exactly what you did. The tape meaure of
course is only useful fro establishing the general distance. The important
part is the coincidence of the rangefinder and what you actually get as
results. If you are not already, I suggest that magnification of the eye
piece is very helpful for critical accuracy and you need to specify which
aperture you are testing and what you expect too. But that is another
thread, maybe.

In any event you have paid to have the lenses serviced and are unhappy with
the results. In my opinion you should speak with Andrea again. My experience
is that they are responsive, genuinely want to make right any problems and
look after their customers. If Andrea is unable to resolve this to your
satisfaction I would expect that your issue should be elevated. Good luck

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman