Subject: [Leica] IMGs: Eastern Sierra
From: oliverbryk at comcast.net (Oliver Bryk)
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 05:31:40 -0700

Thanks to everyone who took the trouble to look and comment!

Lluis wrote:
"Great pictures Oliver, my favorites are the second one and the last
one, excellent work!
Cheers
Lluis"

Simon wrote:
"Like 1983 best,thx for sharing, simon"

Bob wrote:
"Simply beautiful, Oliver! The second shot stands out for me, but they are
all stunning.
Thanks so much for taking me along. I hope to get there this fall if I'm
lucky...
Best,
Bob"

Geoff wrote:
"Gorgeous country Oliver. I enjoyed looking at them all. The second shot and
the closeup of the wooden hut especially appeal to me.
Cheers
Geoff"

Douglas wrote:
"Interesting with one controversial pic. What do you think about your ATV
tourists? Over here they'd be booed and hissed. The ripping effect from
these loons on the Irish mountains has to be seen to be believed. That said,

our trails are soft and easily damaged: your ones may be different and I
could be overreacting.. However cultural imperialism dictates that it is ok
to take a ATV into the hills as they all read US mags which revel in the
great undiscovered outdoors - whether the hills are able for it or not - so
we have these lard arsed eejits raping and pillaging our delicate and boggy
mountains without considering the consequences. Ask them to walk to the
shops, and they'd drop dead from the effort. I'd like to recreate the galley

scenes from Ben Hur.
(snip)
Douglas"

Frank commented:
"Ever since there was a change in fashion here in the UK and 4x4s went from
farmers vehicles (LandRovers) to being a must-have common fashion item for
some parts of society we always have a few novice off road drivers driving
on the green lanes in the UK, badly churning them up. I like to think they
know no better, as I probably wouldn't had I not learned to drive in a
LandRover on the farm. Sadly these roads have been irreparably damaged. The
Ridgeway, an Iron Age road near here, is completely destroyed in places. All
for a few selfish ignoramus townies playing about in a vehicle they don't
need (a 4x4 is useful around here for a few of weeks every 5 years or so,
otherwise pointless)  but had to have to show how macho they are ;-(
The new 4x4s with all mod-cons weigh about twice what the utilitarian ones
did, which is the large part of the problem. The ATV and off road bikes are
noisy but tend to be light enough to do little damage on these green roads
round here. I can easily imagine how much permanent mess they would make on
ancient bogland though...
Many of the roads are now closed to motor vehicles, which is a shame for
competent off-roaders, but it hasn't stopped the yobs wrecking the lanes,
there are not many police up there.
Frank D."

Recognizing that these pests won't just go away, the Federal government
(Bureau of Land Management) as well as several states including California
have designated certain areas for OHV (off highway vehicles) or SVRA (state
vehicular recreation area) activities. This was necessary in California to
assure passage of the federal Desert Protection Act. I am aware of the
extensive damage to California's fragile desert areas and the heedless
destruction of the habitats of the endangered Desert Tortoise. I
occasionally read about ATVs disturbing wildlife. As far as the area around
Bodie (and many other locations) is concerned there are many unimproved
narrow "roads" dating back to the heydays of mining that provide ample
opportunity for ATV and other 4WD touring to abandoned mine sites, remains
of towns, and the like. Looking for pictures, I have traveled some of these
California backroads "rough in spots", in my Jeep Cherokee and more recently
my Subaru Forester.

Frank wrote:
"The first makes me wish I was there with my fly rod. The essence of a
peaceful day.
The ATV tourists look like they are more in need of a couple of weeks
hiking...
Frank"

Hot Creek is indeed a lovely spot, so popular with fishermen that it is
posted for "catch and release only". It is geologically unusual in that only
about 50 meters downstream from where I made this picture, very hot springs
bubble up into the icy creek. Back in the 70s it was THE place for
backpackers like myself to gather there for a soak - "clothing optional" -
after a week of hiking in the high country. Today that part of Hot Creek is
completely fenced in.

When I asked the fellow on the ATV to remove his hat and look into the
camera, I complimented him on his beer belly, to the amusement of his
companions.

Oliver