Subject: [Leica] Steampunk
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 18:16:14 -0400

Douglas' post about steampunk takes me back about 30 years. At the time I
was teaching a graduate seminar in socio technology and  industrial labor
policy. One topic was the devaluation of physical labor by the invention of
cheap portable power sources (i.e. electric power tools and small gas engine
devices like lawn mowers and chain saws). Over the last century
intellectually based occupations have increased enormously in earning
potential over physically based occupations. I asked my seminar group to
consider the entirely possible reverse situation and imagine the
consequences on society if the computer had been invented before the steam
engine or the harnessing of electric power. Computers of a sort were
available long before electricity, some dating back to ancient Greece.
Pneumatic and mechanical computers (remember Babbage) were contemporary with
the development of steam power. Think about the possibilities. Plumbers and
auto mechanics being paid more than accountants. But it could never happen -
- - !

Some of the term papers I received would make good scripts for steampunk
novels. Is a steam powered Leica in the works from Solms?

Larry Z

- - - -
I'm looking forward to this year's vacation in Whitby, UK - it's been
the Gothic centre for years (Thanks to Bram Stoker's Darcula, which
begins there), but now Steam Punk seems to have arrived to stay.

The local rag reported:

http://www.whitbygazette.co.uk/news/Steampunk-a-big-trend-at.6271644.jp

Cheers
Douglas