Subject: [Leica] Charles Moore Passed
From: kenlass at gate.net (Kenneth Lassiter)
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 19:15:56 -0400

Photographer Charles Moore passed away last Thursday. He was 79.  Charles
was famous for his photographs of the civil rights movement in the 1960s.
There were many months where his photos were in LIFE every week.  In 1989,
Charles Moore was awarded the First Crystal Eagle Award for Social Impact in
Photojournalism by the NPPA and the University of Missouri. When the Civil
Rights Act of 1964 passed the Senate, Senator Jacob Javits credited the
showing of Moore's photographs to Congress for turning the tide for support
of the bill's passage. Charles was elected to the Alabama Hall of Fame in
2008.

Charles was living in Florence, Alabama at the end of his life.  He grew up
nearby in nearby Hackleburg and Tuscumbia, Alabama.

I had the pleasure of working frequently with Charles in my Kodak days.  We
traveled together on many of the college lectures Kodak sponsored.  He
appeared on one on my TV shows. We did an extensive interview published in
Photographers Forum magazine in September 2007.

Charles used both Leicas and Nikons for his work.

Ken Lassiter

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Charles Moore Passed)