Subject: [Leica] Selling Prints
From: socphoto at verizon.net (Socolow Carl)
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 22:54:47 -0500

George,

Thanks for the perspective and the inspirational words. I've had five
inquiries in the past week from students who want to do Summer
internships with me; who love photography; who want to make a career
of it; who have digital SLRs and like to take pictures. I don't know
that anyone really grasps anymore the work, the training, the
dedication, the education that goes into being a photographer; at
least one who earns a living at it. I read on here about every new
camera coming out, every new gewgaggle and lens and sensor and piece
of software. And I become more convinced that the industry has been
taken over by the corporations and the MBAs (no offense to those of
you who are) and the Moore's Law people and the camera pushers. But
how many people go to museums and galleries and become grounded in
the visual vernacular that undergirds our culture? How many people
look at oriental landscape scrolls to understand atmospherics? How
many people study charcoal sketches to study form and learn that
depictions of life can occur without a religious fervor for
sharpness? At times I really think we're being suckered. And then,
George, along comes a refreshing comment such as yours, that bespeaks
a life of purpose and dedication, of learning and not being dependent
upon a microprocessor but using your brain and talent and I have a
sense of hope and belief that all is not lost.

Best regards,

Carl Socolow

www.carlsandersocolow.com