Subject: [Leica] Links for X-1 Luminous Landscape and Reid Review's Reviews
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 15:45:45 -0500

2009-11-13-15:08:09 Henning Wulff:
> As usual, the main culprit in causing lag is the autofocus. The GF1
> autofocus is actually very fast, but the main problem is that as with
> all autofocus systems, you don't know how long it's going to take, and so
> you can't anticipate properly.

I've always had trouble trusting point-n-shoot cameras' autofocus, but the
few
(film or digital) which are at least usable sometimes, because they don't
also annoy the poo out of me with an additional mechanical lag after the
button's been pushed, are the ones which, when memorizing focus with a
partial
shutter-button push, mechanically drive the lens into position for that focus
setting at that time -- so that at least that operation doesn't add to the
delay when you say, "NOW!  Take the damned picture!"

I really hate the cameras which electronically memorize focus but don't start
moving the lens until picture-taking time.

Which flavor are the cameras above?  And if the former, any idea what they're
doing before taking the picture to account for the lag?

 -Jeff

Replies: Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Links for X-1 Luminous Landscape and Reid Review's Reviews)
Message from h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche) ([Leica] Links for X-1 Luminous Landscape and Reid Review's Reviews)
Message from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Links for X-1 Luminous Landscape and Reid Review's Reviews)