Subject: [Leica] Lens Advice
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 03:10:18 -0500

> Aram Langhans wrote:
>
>> So, maybe I should look at the pre-IF version? Or are there trade-off's
>> for
>> this lens, too?
>
> The pre-IF version is an exceptionally sharp lens with excellent color
> quality.  Its drawbacks are much slower and stiffer focussing, a longer
> minimum focus distance, a tendency toward harsh bokeh, and pricing based on
> its scarcity.  It's the second-sharpest 300mm-ish lens I've had the
> pleasure
> to use, even after the TSA did it's thing to the front element, but the
> handling has me wishing it had IF along with its exceptional image quality.
> The ED-IF is an excellent lens and most people would be delighted with its
> performance.  My problem is that I've been spoiled by the 280mm f/4 APO and
> the pre-IF 300mm f/4.5 ED.
>
> Doug Herr
> Birdman of Sacramento
> http://www.wildlightphoto.com

I have the 1977-1981: AI version which I got for 150 bucks its my only long
fixed focal length lens I just got it and I love it.  Its sitting right here
next to me on end. Love the tripod collar thing and the solid feel of it.
I'm sure the more modern ones with IF are better but ignorance is bliss with
an abbreviated pocket book.
The effective 450 focal length with my D200 really gives me super telephoto
shooting and its much better than I ever thought it would be .

Mark William Rabiner