Subject: [Leica] Why the mad rush / toxicity
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 17:57:36 -0500

> At 05:14 PM 11/5/2009, you wrote:
>> Within 5 miles  from me  here in NY are at least 20 colleges with thriving
>> darkrooms with trays laid out like they have for decades for the
>> multitudes
>> of kids to play in like ducks with tongs in the dark.
>> I personally if I ran the schools would skip it.
>>
>> Mark William Rabiner
>
> I taught photography at the local community college until they
> decided to get rid of their wonderful darkroom, several years
> ago.  The administration planned to convert everything to computers
> but, after they dismantled and sold all of the darkroom equipment,
> the powers that be discovered they couldn't afford computers for
> everybody.  They asked me to teach without darkroom or computers but
> I decided I'd rather retire.  Now it's all state-of-the-art computer
> technology only.  Community colleges here are bursting at the seams
> with classes all day and night.
>
> Tina

When I got to Manhattan  3.3 years ago I saw everywhere kids with the school
Hasselblad and tripod one asked me if I they could photograph me and I'd
talk to them. Every kid told me about their teachers reverence for film and
the hours they would be needing to spend in the darkroom doing black and
white. Also many were being taught C print printing. Just last week I met a
gal form Italy who was signed up with  ICP. International
Center-Photography. She was about to learn C printing. What a waste!
C prints were bad when they were good.

 I was surprised to hear all this. They didn't teach platinum printing when
I was in school or other dated processes of the past which had little
relevance to the modern practice of photography. Why teach darkroom now?
They'll snap out of it in very few years I imagine.
The academics, people who never really practiced photography are into this
mindless "digital is not real photography like silver is" BS.
They need to get a photographer in there or take a field trip to a working
photography gallery.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney) ([Leica] Why the mad rush / toxicity)