Subject: [Leica] IMG: Central Park in Autumn
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 16:57:55 -0500

At 04:52 PM 11/1/2009, you wrote:
>Can you elaborate on the ability to combine several exposures, Tina?
>For those of us who haven't progressed beyond the M8.
>
>?howard

Take 3 to 7 exposures, depending on how contrasty
the scene is, bracketing speed, not
aperture.  Import them into LR or PhotoShop and
use any of a number of plug-ins - I use
PhotoMatix, to combine the exposures and tone-map
them.  If you just combine the exposures without
tone-mapping, the dynamic range is more than any
monitor or print can show so you have to let the
software adjust the DR to something that can be
seen - using sliders to adjust the photo.  You
can choose from presets all the way from Normal
to Painterly to Grunge in PhotoMatix.  I like
Painterly but Normal is more "normal" ;-)

I did this with the M8 for a talk at the Leica
Seminar.  It is totally possible with the M8 and
a tripod but it is much, much easier with the M9 and auto-bracketing.

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] IMG: Central Park in Autumn)