Subject: [Leica] thousands of street photographers undeveloped negativesfound after her death
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 00:25:41 +0100

"Jim Shulman" <jshul at comcast.net> wrote
> This is precisely why I fear the passing of film: can you imagine anyone
> finding these as digital images in a storage locker?  Perhaps as a stack
> of
> ROMs (good luck playing them thirty or forty years after being burned) or
> an
> old computer's hard drive (and good luck booting it up thirty or forty
> years
> in the future.)
>
> I fear that discoveries like this will disappear with the rise of
> all-digital imaging.  There's a lot to be said for something that's
> tangible
> and visible to the unaided eye.

Have to agree with this.

The longevity of digital print images is open to question. No one has been
around long enough to know. As for digital archiving, Lord knows we could be
walking on the silicate remnants of the archived achievements of long gone
civilizations, and we haven't got a clue that's what we're doing. I
apologise for possibly offending any creationists on the LUG with that
statement.

Loved the images from Vivian Maier but is it possible that it's the
masculine spelling of the name??

Anyway, thanks to Kyle for the excellent link.

Douglas
_________
Douglas Barry
Bray, Co. Wicklow