Subject: [Leica] Browsing long necked antelope
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 10:05:28 -0400

*Jayanard,*

*Rhododendrons grow wild in the Hudson Valley. They were generally bush
shaped with foliage reaching to the ground. When my older daughter and
son-in-law were assigned by the US State Dept. to a post in Nepal, they told
me that rhododendrons in the Himalayas grew as trees with thick trunks and
foliage starting about two meters above the ground. It was not until local
deer became pest animals that I understood why. An adult deer can stand on
its rear legs and nibble leaves from the branches higher than the head of a
tall man. Now all the local rhododendron are treelike too. Your picture of a
browsing long necked antelope illustrates this feeding practice perfectly.*

*Larry Z*