Subject: [Leica] Slideshow
From: geordiepete211 at yahoo.co.uk (Peter Cheyne)
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 03:58:29 +0000 (GMT)

Thank you for the encouraging words.  A friend and colleague actually used
practically the same words as George to describe my photos: "intense energy
and love of life", so I was surprised to read them again.  It interests me
how such qualities can be read from someone's photographs.  I've often
thought about Plato's challenge to the visual arts, namely that they are
three removes from the reality itself.  As a critique, I think he was right
that we should challenge ourselves can attempt to get beyond a 2-dimensional
representation of surfaces to express something living and vibrant that
invites relation and communication beyond the small flat image itself.  That
sounds more pretentious in words than in practice, I'm afraid.

I keep my long lenses and SLR kit for wildlife, especially birds.  But my
job (philosophy teaching in Japan) keeps me very busy, so I find I only have
the chance to use the long lenses (400mm and 800mm, both f/5.6) a few times
a year.  Since 9/9/09 I've been thinking about selling all that kit to buy
an M9.  I'll keep that idea on the back-burner for a while yet.  The appeal
of selling off SLR kit to buy an M9 is that I find I use my M6 most of the
time these days and recently I've lost 6 rolls of Kodachrome in the mail.  I
sent the 6 rolls, which have been in a friend's freezer for 11 years, from
Japan to Dwayne's.  They had precious photos of a trip to the English Farne
Islands and Lake District I made this August with my 6 year old daughter.  I
sent them to Dwayne's early September, and Dwayne's say they still have not
received them.  I was really looking forward to getting those slides.  I'll
leave it a bit longer and ask Japan Post if they can find
 the films.  Perhaps the thin brown envelope split and the films are sitting
in lost property somewhere.

Anyway, I'll get over that and expose some more film with my M6 and hope to
post some favourites again before too long.